RCMP Cruiser Generic
(file photo)

Campbell River RCMP responded to a potentially fatal situation of carbon monoxide poisoning in the early morning of February 5th.

A resident had left their vehicle running inside the garage portion of their home when RCMP frontline members responded.

Frontline members quickly entered and exited the residence with the occupant, narrowly avoiding carbon monoxide poisoning.

The resident was transported by BC Ambulance for further medical treatment and one RCMP officer was taken to a medical facility for further observation and treatment.

Without smell, taste, or colour, high concentrations of carbon monoxide reduce oxygen flow to the brain and can quickly cause health problems before poisoning is even noticed.

“The selfless actions of the members on the scene who put themselves in harm’s way to help this person makes me extremely proud today,” said Inspector Jeff Preston, Campbell River RCMP detachment commander.

“Their efforts without a doubt prevented a tragedy,”

Subscribe to the Victoria Buzz newsletter to receive the latest news, events and more directly to your inbox. Every day.