The BC Ministry of Health reported 743 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, October 8th.
There have been 192,491 cases of COVID-19 since the pandemic began.
New cases were reported in these health regions:
- Vancouver Coastal Health: 69
- Fraser Health: 265
- Island Health: 70
- Interior Health: 143
- Northern Health: 196
- Resident outside Canada: 0
There are currently 5,969 active cases of COVID-19 in the province.
184,121 people who tested positive have recovered.
There are now a total of 360 people in hospital due to COVID-19, 137 of whom are in critical care — ICU or acute care units.
5 people have died from COVID-related causes, making the provincial death toll 2,001.
Data by Vaccination Status:
From September 30th to October 6th, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 69.4%. From September 23rd to October 6th they accounted for 76.7% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Sept. 30 to Oct. 6):
- Total: 4,667
- Not vaccinated: 2,925 (62.7%)
- Partially vaccinated: 313 (6.7%)
- Fully vaccinated: 1,429 (30.6%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Sept. 23 to Oct. 6):
- Total: 450
- Not vaccinated: 310 (68.9%)
- Partially vaccinated: 35 (7.8%)
- Fully vaccinated: 105 (23.3%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 30 to Oct. 6):
- Not vaccinated: 290.9
- Partially vaccinated: 88.3
- Fully vaccinated: 34.5
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 23 to Oct. 6):
- Not vaccinated: 48.0
- Partially vaccinated: 15.5
- Fully vaccinated: 2.4
There have been two new health-care facility outbreaks at Cherington Place (Fraser Health) and Haven Hill Retirement Centre (Interior Health).
The outbreak at Royal Inland Hospital (Interior Health) has been declared over.
There are a total of 17 active outbreaks, including:
- Long-Term Care: Willingdon Care Centre, Westminster House, The Residence in Mission, Magnolia Gardens, Manoah Manor, Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre, Cherington Place (Fraser Health), Cottonwoods Care Centre, Joseph Creek Care Village, Overlander, Village by the Station, Haven Hill Retirement Centre (Interior Health) and Wrinch Memorial Hospital (Northern Health).
- Acute Care: Mission Memorial Hospital (Fraser Health) and University Hospital of Northern BC (Northern Health).
- Assisted or Independent Living: Sunset Manor (Fraser Health) and Cooper Place (Vancouver Coastal Health).
Island Health reported 70 new cases of COVID-19 in the Vancouver Island region and 510 active cases.
Breakdown of cases on Vancouver Island:
- South Vancouver Island Active cases: 244 │Total Cases: 3921
- Central Vancouver Island Active cases: 213 │ Total Cases: 4120
- North Vancouver Island Active cases: 53 │Total Cases: 1161
39 people remain in hospital with 25 in ICU.
There were no deaths reported in the Island Health region today, and a total of 72 deaths on Vancouver Island.
As of Friday, Oct. 8, 2021, 88.6% of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.2% received their second dose.
In addition, 89.1% of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 83% received their second dose.
To date, 7,937,214 (+16,144) doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in BC; 3,811,076 (+6,559) of which are second doses.
Some links include:
- Details on the latest provincial restrictions
- BCCDC information on how to get tested
- Support for mental health and wellbeing
At the time of this publication, 237,771,320 cases of COVID-19 had been recorded worldwide. 4,852,690 have died, and 214,833,939 have recovered.