A Victoria school principal is gearing up for a feat like no other, joining 20 other cyclists this fall in the 1,200-kilometre ride of a lifetime.
Tillicum Elementary School principal Jeff Duyndam is on the 2022 Cops for Cancer Tour De Rock team, which will see him pedal Vancouver Island from Port Alice to Victoria over 14 days, all for a good cause.
Now in its 25th year, the annual Tour De Rock is back from September 24th to October 7th, raising awareness and donations for life-saving childhood cancer research and national support services for families.
“I’ve always been a big supporter of Cops for Cancer Tour De Rock. It’s quite a large commitment, and it had to be the right time for myself and my family,” Duyndam told Victoria Buzz.
“We just thought, after the pandemic, everyone is looking for something positive to get behind, and this is an absolutely fabulous cause.”
We are incredibly proud to announce that Jeff Duyndam, the Principal at Tillicum Elementary, will be part of the Tour de Rock 25th anniversary team! 🚴🚴♀️🚴♂️@TillicumTBirds @TourdeRock #CopsforCancer pic.twitter.com/vd4Hsq1jki
— Greater Victoria SD (@sd61schools) May 6, 2022
On Friday, Duyndam was introduced as a special guest rider representing the Greater Victoria School District and his local community during an official rider announcement at Tillicum School.
He’s been training for the ride three days a week since early March and says he’s proud to represent the school district, which experienced the loss of a principal due to cancer in 2017.
“Through this experience, I hope to garner community support for such a worthwhile cause,” added Duyndam, encouraging people to donate via his fundraiser page.
“I have witnessed firsthand the devastating effects cancer has on families and communities. Losing a loved one, colleague or neighbour to cancer is one of the most difficult losses.”
The complete 2022 team includes:
- Rachelle Cole – BC Emergency Health Services
- Bonnie Logan – Campbell River Fire Department
- Ken Mount – Central Saanich Fire
- Josh Wilson – CFB Comox
- Josh Peterson – CFB Esquimalt Fire Rescue
- Adam Fras – City of Parksville
- Tiffany Parton – BC Association of Chiefs of Police
- Steve Scott – Courtenay Volunteer Fire Rescue
- Anna McMillian – Bell Media
- Robin Campbell – Cups for Cancer Courtenay
- Rick Geddes – District of Ucluelet Fire Rescue
- Terry Crawford – Nanaimo RCMP
- Kyle Dornan – Port Hardy RCMP
- Aaron Grewal – Saanich Police Department
- Karen Robinson – Saanich Police Department
- Lindsay Blackett – Saanich Police Department
- Pat Bryant – Saanich Police Department
- Trent Edwards – Saanich Police Department
- Chris Van Swieten – Victoria Police Department
- Tristan Williams – Victoria Police Department
According to Tour De Rock, over $500,000 was raised for the Canadian Cancer Society through last year’s ride. This year, organizers have a $850,000 goal.
For more details and to donate, visit this website.