On Tuesday afternoon, John Horgan stood before the media in a live press conference to announce he would be stepping down as BC’s Premier.

Horgan’s five year career as Premier has been filled with ups and downs, with the announcement coming shortly after Horgan announced the provincial government would be scrapping the $789 million Royal BC Museum rebuild.

In 2020 and 2021, Horgan received the highest premier approval rating of all premiers in Canada.

In November 2021, Horgan confirmed a growth in his throat had been determined to be cancerous following a surgery to have it removed. 

See more: BC Premier John Horgan confirms lump found in throat to be cancerous after surgery

“As we reach the mid-point of our second term, it is clear the tasks ahead of us are enormous and will require a leader focused on the next two years and beyond. A second bout with cancer and dozens of radiation treatments has led me to take stock,” said Horgan.

“I am proud to say I’m cancer free. While I have a lot of energy, I must acknowledge this may not be the case two years from now.”

According to Horgan, he will stay on as Premier until his successor is chosen but will not seek re-election.

“Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity, British Columbia. It has truly been the thrill of my life,” Horgan said in the live conference.

“I’ve done my best to not let you down, there have been days where things have gone well and days where things didn’t go well. That’s the nature of the human condition and I am honoured to have had the opportunity.”

The next BC General Election is scheduled for October 2024.

👋 Subscribe to the Victoria Buzz newsletter to receive the latest news, events and more directly to your inbox. Every weekday.