Have you ever wondered where to find the best fish and chips on the island?
With over 200 comments on our Vancouver Island Buzz poll, the wait is over!
Whether you’re spending your day in Victoria or heading up island, you can’t go wrong by stopping in at one of these 13 local eateries:
- Where: 1001 Wharf Street
- When: Monday to Sunday, 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Red Fish Blue Fish
Located on the Inner Harbour in beautiful Victoria, BC Canada, Red Fish Blue Fish offers Victoria’s favourite Fish & Chips, Tacones, West Coast & Wild Grilled or Tempura Fish Sandwiches, Grilled Seafood, Seafood Chowder and other sustainable seafood choices.
- Where: 1006 Wharf Street
- When: Monday to Friday, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Dockside Fish and Chips
- Where: 1003 – C Dock Island Highway, Coast Marina
- When: Wednesday to Sunday, 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Since 1980, Willows Galley Fish & Chips has been a gem of Estevan Village. Its current owners, Dave and Jennifer Higgins, have their own storied history with the iconic Oak Bay fish and chips shop in Victoria.
Dave worked there as a teenager and the couple even had their first date there. They returned as owners in 2011, and now work side-by-side to bring back the same nostalgia and homemade menu that has been beloved by the community for years.
- Where: 2559 Estevan Avenue
- When: Thursday to Sunday, 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Barb’s Fish & Chips
Iconic Barb’s Fish & Chips is floating in Victoria BC’s Inner Harbour at the vibrant Fisherman’s Wharf and has been serving up delicious fresh seafood for over 39 years.
- Where: Fisherman’s Wharf, 1 Dallas Road
- When: Monday to Sunday, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Finest at Sea
- Where: 27 Erie Street
- When: Monday to Sunday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
West Coast Fish and Chips
Are you heading to or through Duncan? Several Vancouver Island Buzz fans reccommended stopping by West Coast Fish and Chips along the Trans Canada Highway.
- Where: 2490 Trans Canada Highway, Duncan
- When: Wednesday and Thursday, 12 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Waddling Dog Inn
Make sure to stop in the Waddling Dog Inn if you’re on the Saanich Peninsula. Several people mentioned this location and could potentially be a hidden gem.
- Where: 2476 Mt. Newton Cross Roads
- Wednesday to Saturday 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Sunday to Tuesday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Where: 10153 Resthaven Drive
- Wednesday to Saturday, 11:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, 12 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, 3 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Jiggers Fish and Chips
- Where: 1685 Peninsula Road, Ucluelet
- When: Tuesday to Saturday, 12 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Salty’s Fish & Chips has owned and operated family-run fish and chip restaurants since the early 1970’s. There are three locations on Vancouver Island.
The business was established to offer authentic English fish and chips to the large English expatriate population on Vancouver Island, as well as to an ever-increasing market of both young families and seniors, who enjoy eating traditional English food.
- 250 Trans-Canada Highway, Duncan
- 738 Goldstream Avenue, Langford
- 1008 Craigflower Road, Esquimalt
- Tuesday to Thursday, 11:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, 11:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, 11:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Fish on 5th
A locally owned Fish and Chips restaurant, Fish on 5th offers a cozy, nautically themed eatery serving fish ’n’ chips & other seafood, plus burgers & salads. They also serve Dole Whip!
- Where: 9812 Fifth Street, Sidney
- Monday – Friday: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Saturday: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Sunday: 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Wildside Grill in Tofino
This funky, locally-sourced-seafood shack with minimal seating is popular for its fish ’n’ chips.
- Where: 1180 BC-4, Tofino
- When: Open everyday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
There are dozens of more locations we could add to the list… but why not scroll through the post yourself and see if a spot stands out for you?
You could also let us know your top spot in the comment section below!