The holiday season is all about giving, and that’s what the community is here to do!
To support community members reliant on the Saanich Peninsula Lions Food Bank for food security, the annual Peninsula Firefighters Christmas Food Drive will be returning to help collect nutritious offerings.
The Food Drive will commence on Saturday, December 16th and will involve a blend of traditional neighbourhood drive throughs and drop-off stations at local fire halls.
According to a release, food donations are needed now more than ever as Saanich Peninsula Lions Food Bank reported its busiest month on record in November.
“The food bank is not only supporting the most vulnerable members of our population—many local families and seniors just can’t cover all their expenses these days,” said Tyson Elder, Operations Manager for the Saanich Peninsula Lions Food Bank.
“We know times are tough and we are glad people on the Peninsula know that this is a judgment free space. Everyone here knows what it’s like to go to the grocery store and spend as much on a bag of groceries as we used to spend on a cart.”
If you have anything to spare, they are accepting nonperishable food items as well as cash donations. Charitable receipts can be issued for donations over $25.
“The Peninsula Firefighters Christmas Food Drive is one of my favourite days of the year because I get to see so many community members giving what they can to help their neighbours,” said Lieutenant Rick Toogood of Sidney Fire Rescue, who has been helping coordinate the Peninsula Firefighters Christmas Food Drive for more than 10 years.
“We are here for anyone who needs us, whether it be for a short-time period or an ongoing basis,” Elder added.
To participate in the upcoming neighbourhood drive-through on December 16th, bring your donation to a firefighter when they pass by your home, or leave a bag of donated items on your doorstep or curbside to be collected.
If you wish to check out the list of most-needed items, you can visit the ‘‘12 Days of Christmas Giving’ on the Saanich Peninsula Lions Food Bank website.
Full list of donation opportunities are as follows:
- Neighbourhood drive-throughs in neighbourhoods south of Beacon Avenue on December 16th, 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Drive-through donation in the back parking lot of the Community Safety Building can be made on December 16th from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Drop-offs can be made at the Sidney Community Safety Building until December 15th from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.
- Neighbourhood drive-throughs in Brentwood Bay, Tanner Ridge, and Saanichton on December 16th, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Drop-offs can be made at the Central Saanich Fire Station #1 (1512 Keating Cross Road) and Central Saanich Municipal Hall from December 11th to 15th from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Neighbourhood drive-through Dean Park and Eaglehurst area on December 16th, 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Drop-offs can be made at the North Saanich Wain Road Fire Hall until December 15th, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Friday.