Congrats Victoria, the weekend is here!
With another week in the books and only one more to go before Christmas is on our doorstep. We’ve got you covered with a slew of events to keep your mind occupied as we wait.
From festive jaunts at the Malahat Skywalk to community skates, here are 15 things happening in Victoria this weekend, December 17th to 18th:
Lights of Wonder
Until December 31st, the free, accessible, and all-ages outdoor light display will welcome guests to experience a variety of activities and entertainment each day.
This year, Lights of Wonder will also include nightly performances every night except for on Christmas Day. A schedule of event for each night can be found on the Downtown Victoria Business Association website.
- Where: Lights of Wonder, 1 Centennial Square
- When: Daily, December 15th to December 31st
- 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sundays through Thursdays
- 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays
The Polar Express 3D IMAX
Tom Hanks and director Robert Zemeckis reunite for The Polar Express, an inspiring adventure based on the beloved children’s book by Chris Van Allsburg. When a doubting young boy takes an extraordinary train ride to the North Pole, he embarks on a journey of self-discovery that shows him that the wonder of life never fades for those who believe.
- When: Select days starting December 17th to December 31st
- Where: IMAX in downtown Victoria, 675 Belleville Street
Victoria Royals – Christmas Classic
The festivities will continue on Saturday, December 17th with the Royal’s second annual Christmas Classic.
Royals’ fans are encouraged to support local businesses by wearing their ugliest Christmas sweater. At halftime, those in attendance will have the opportunity to compete for the best Ugliest Christmas Sweater.
- Where: Save-On-Food Memorial Centre, 1925 Blanshard Street
- When: Saturday, December 17th, puck drops 6:05 p.m.
Angry Snowmans and IQ78 in Victoria
Fifteen years of punk rock Christmas in Victoria! Angry Snowmans bring the Nog and decks the halls with all your punk rock favourites. Joined this year by local IQ78.
- Where: Phoenix Bar and Grill, 3944 Quadra Street
- When: Saturday, December 17th, 8:30 p.m. to 12 a.m.
Join a blues tribute to the masters Freddie King, Howlin’ Wolf, Jimmy Reed, B.B. King, and Muddy Waters.
- Where: The Loft Pub, 229 George Road
- When: Saturday, December 17th, 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Mind Garden x Capital Ballroom
Come on down to the Captial Ballroom to enjoy OAKK and Handsome Tiger on Saturday, December 17th!
This weekend Capital Ballroom will be pulling out all the stops as they debut their new void acoustics sound system.
- Where: Captial Ballroom, 858 Yates Street
- When: Saturday, December 17th, 9 p.m.
Checo & the Sweet Soul Choir
An unforgettable evening of music for the soul. The dynamic Sweet Soul Choir delivers the sounds of Motown, R&B, and Gospel, in five-part harmony.
Don’t be surprised if you find yourself clapping, dancing, and singing along to some of the greatest known holiday classics, with a vibrant twist. This performance will be a benefit concert for Big Brothers Big Sisters.
Join us at First Metropolitan United Church, on Saturday, December 17th at 7:30 pm (doors at 7:00 pm). Tickets are $20 and children under 10 are FREE. For more information, and to buy tickets, go to sweetsoulchoir.ca.
- Where: First Metropolitan United Church, 932 Balmoral Road
- When: Saturday, December 17th at 7:30 pm (doors at 7:00 pm).
Holiday Magic at the Malahat Skywalk
‘Tis the season of Holiday Magic! Enjoy a cozy beverage, warm fire, their massive holiday tree, crafts, and a visit from Santa! You may even see Luke the Sasquatch partaking in the holiday fun! Here you can find more details on each activity.
This weekend the Skywalk has invited Santa as a special guest!
- When: December 3rd to January 1st, from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (see list of times)
- Where: Malahat Skywalk, 901 Trans-Canada Hwy
Santa’s Christmas walk through Colwood
While they might not make it through Colwood’s smaller streets, if you hear the sirens, come on out and cheer on Santa who will be sharing treats.
Sunday’s route will start at 9 a.m. at Belmont park making its way through the following streets:
- Route #1
- Belmont Park, Goldstream Avenue, Wale Road, Gamble Drive, Gamble Place, Tamarack Road and Loiacono Place
- Route #2
- Aldeane Avenue to Kelley Road between Sooke Road to Veterans Memorial Parkway
- Route #3
- Kelly Road to Lynlark between VMP and Sooke
- Route #4
- Brittany to Jacklin (Colwood creek park) Sooke to Afriston Place
- Route # 5
- Triangle Mountain
After taking a lunch break to spend time snapping photos with local fans, Santa and his crew will continue their tour in the afternoon, starting at 12:30 p.m. along the following streets:
- Route #6
- Wishart south Allendale to Delora between Wishart to VMP
- Route #7
- Lagoon Area, Lagoon Rd to Metchosin between Metchosin to Ocean Blvd
- Route #8
- Painter to Metchosin to Cotlow and Ledsham to Metchosin between Sooke and Wishart
Residents are encouraged to share food items with those in need. This year’s donations will support the Goldstream Food Bank.
- Where: Starting at Belmont Park in Colwood
- When: Sunday, December 18th, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Ukrainian Christmas Market: Food & Craft
- Where: Ukrainian Cultural Centre, 3277 Douglas Street
- When: Sunday, December 18th, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
A WONDERHEADS Christmas Carol
This astonishing production features larger than life characters, glowing ghosts, and 10-foot-tall puppets – to name just a few of the treats in store for audiences as they are whisked away with Ebenezer Scrooge on his magical Christmas Eve adventure.
Prepare to laugh, cry, and be utterly enchanted this holiday season!
- The McPherson Playhouse, Saturday, December 17th, from 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Cowichan Performing Arts Centre, Sunday, December 18th, 7 p.m.
Stop in at the Victoria Public Market on Saturday to enjoy Naja Buka’s, African pop-up hot food market.
- Where: Victoria Public Market, 1701 Douglas Street
- When: Sunday, December 18th, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
North Park Multicultural Festival & Community Skate
The North Park Multicultural Festival is hosted by the North Park Neighbourhood Association in collaboration with the Masjid Al-Iman Mosque.
These lively events are a celebration of culture and diversity featuring food, art, crafts, performances, and free activities.
They offer a chance to connect with neighbours, learn about local businesses and organizations, and celebrate the diversity that exists in our amazing community.
- Where: Save-On-Food Memorial Centre, 1925 Blanshard Street
- When: Sunday, December 18th, 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Festival of Trees at the Bay Centre
Immerse yourself in the season as you stroll through over 70 one-of-a-kind festively decorated trees in support of BC Children’s Hospital during the Festival of Trees, sponsored by Scotiabank.
Festival of Trees is free and open daily during Bay Centre shopping centre hours. Closed Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
- When: From now until January 3rd, view during shopping centre hours
- Where: The Bay Centre, 3125 Douglas Street
Victoria Buzz Christmas Lights Map
The 9th annual Christmas Lights map is now available!
Grab hot chocolates for the family, hop in the car, and tune into 98.5 The Ocean to crank up the Christmas music as you head out on the Christmas trail!
With so many light displays around the capital region, we wanted to narrow down some of the best spots to catch the lights around town.
- When: Nighttime of course!
- Where: Throughout Greater Victoria