Are you looking for a career where you can make a difference in someone’s life?
Look no further!
The Greater Victoria School District is now offering the opportunity to help shape the next generation.
Starting this fall, SD61 is hosting two separate three-week condensed training programs – one in October, and one in November – designed to get aspiring Educational Assistants classroom-ready, completely free of charge.
In 47 schools serving 20,000 students, SD61’s 3,000 employees are committed every day to ensuring their students’ success in a responsible and safe environment.
The Educational Assistant training programs will take place from October 10th to October 27th and November 6th to November 24th, respectively, and will be free for all accepted applicants.
Though two separate programs are being offered, applicants are asked to only take the training program for one of the above listed dates.
Acceptance to free Educational Assistant training program will be based on an interview to be conducted over Microsoft Teams in August and September.
Though a job offer is not guaranteed at the end of the program, that is the hopeful outcome for all applicants.
Applicants must be interested in working with Greater Victoria School District and able to accept a Monday to Friday position upon completion of the program.
Requirements for acceptance into the program:
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- One (1) year Education Assistant or Community Support Worker certificate or equivalent combination of post-secondary courses in child/adolescent development, or behaviour management including non-violent crisis intervention techniques.
- Experience working with vulnerable children
- First Aid and CPR certified, or willingness to get certified
- Ability to commit to the full three week course (please do not apply if you cannot attend these dates)
- Interest and capability to be gainfully employed by the School District at the conclusion of the program
The program includes:
- Organizational structure of schools
- The role of Education Assistants in the classroom
- Health and safety
- Child development
- Indigenous learners and the “First Peoples Principles of Learning”
- Supporting learning
- Technology and education
- Behaviour support
- Understanding and setting boundaries
- Social emotional learning
- English Language Learners
- Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) Training (1 day)
- School Visits: Elementary, Middle, Secondary (6 days)
Benefits of working in the Greater Victoria School District:
- Having an opportunity to work with all students and see their progress in the classroom you support
- Having the flexibility to work around family commitments, personal avocations and the school calendar
Completion of the program could lead to an Educational Assistant position with the Greater Victoria School District.
The positions offer regular call outs leading to continuing assignments of 24-28 hours per week, a competitive hourly rate (spareboard at $28.02/hr) and a comprehensive pension and benefits package.
Interested applicants can send their cover letter, resume, copies of relevant certification and references to:
Human Resource Services, Greater Victoria School District #61
556 Boleskine Road, Victoria, B.C. V8Z 1E8
You can also email email@example.com.
Please also include which of the two training sessions you are interested in (October or November).
For a detailed job description of the position of the Educational Assistant position, please visit SD61 online.