After conquering a week of snow, it’s now time to have a little fun. From the Women’s March to catching a game of hockey, here are 17 thing to do in and around Victoria this weekend, January 18th and 19th!
Women’s March 2020 is scheduled to take place around the world this Saturday, January 18th and as always, Victoria promises to be an enthusiastic participant.
The Lekwungen and W̱SÁNEĆ territories (Victoria) Women’s March will begin with speeches on the Legislature lawn followed by a march down to Bastion Square where the event culminates in musical performances and a final speech.
- When: Saturday, January 18th, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Where: Legislative Assembly, 501 Belleville Street
The project starts with a donation drive in the Mayfair Shopping Centre in January, before ending with an event night in February. People looking to help can look through their closets and donate any gently used handbags, jewelry, or scarves to the charity.
- When: January 18/19th, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Where: Mayfair Shopping Centre, 3147 Douglas Street
Come relive your childhood with drag performances inspired by classic Saturday morning cartoons!
Sashay Café is a cozy monthly drag show taking place at Caffe Fantastico in the heart of Quadra Village. Coffee, food, and alcohol are all available, and there’s also an audience Pajama Party, so show up in your comfiest onesies!
- When: Saturday, January 18th, doors at 7:00 p.m. and show at 7:45 p.m.
- Where: Caffe Fantastico, 965 Kings Road (Quadra Street location)
On Saturday January 18th, Vikes Nation and the UVic Vikes bring you the biggest rivalry game of the basketball season!
The Men’s and Women’s Vikes Basketball teams will host their rivals, the UBC Thunderbirds, at 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. in an epic battle for points towards the Legends Cup — a cross-sport competition between UBC and UVic!
- When: Saturday, January 18th, 5:00 p.m. (Women’s teams) and 7:00 p.m. (Men’s teams)
- Where: CARSA Gym at UVic, 3800 Finnerty Road
Yet another Vancouver-Victoria rivalry — this time, between the WHL’s Giants and Royals. The two teams will play the second of a back-to-back in Victoria, after playing in Vancouver on Friday night. There’s more than points on the line — there’s pride!
- When: Saturday, January 18th, doors at 6:00 p.m., puck drop at 7:05 p.m.
- Where: Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre, 1925 Blanshard Street
Head to Logan’s Pub for the third annual punk rock benefit show in support of Our Place Society! Featuring VCR, Surveyors, Wet Cigarette, and Anchorage Blue, all proceeds from the show will be donated to Our Place. Doors open at 8 and bands start at 9. Do good by rocking out!
- When: Saturday, January 18th, 10:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.
- Where: Logan’s Pub, 1821 Cook Street
Get ready for a flurry of laughs, as four international comedians come together to create one amazing show.
Just for Laughs winner Dan Quinn is joined by the Great Canadian Laugh Off winner, Paul Myrehaug and 6 time Canadian Comedian of the year nominee Pete Zedlacher. This year, too 3-time female comedian of the year Video on Trial legend Debra DiGiovanni will be joining the show!
- When: Saturday, January 18th, 8:00 p.m.
- Where: Royal Theatre, 805 Broughton Street
The oneTree 2019 exhibit will feature the work of almost 80 artisans that have all created their work from a single, salvaged Maple tree.
The artwork includes boxes, chairs, tables, and sculptures, all made from the wood of a single tree.
- When: December 17th, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., running until February 29th, 2020,
- Where: Bateman Foundation Gallery of Nature, 470 Belleville Street
Two former Zone 91.3 band of the month-alumni and the winners of Darcy’s Victory to Vinyl come together for one cold, cold night in January!
Join Boy Leadfoot, Teenage Violets, and The New Owners for some of the best local music Victoria has to offer!
- When: Saturday, January 18th, 7:30 p.m. to 10:45 p.m.
- Where: Lucky Bar, 517 Yates Street
Enjoy all the goodness the ‘80s still have to offer. Start with a bar, video games — Atari Classic, SES, SNES, SNES classic, Sega, and N64 — and play over 30 boardgames, foosball, ping pong, 80’s music videos! Then, at 10:00 p.m., the ‘80s dance party starts with DJ Thomas Promise!
- When: Saturday, January 18th, 8:00 p.m.
- Where: Victoria Event Centre, 1415 Broad Street
Critically acclaimed recitalist and Steinway artist Arthur Rowe performs an all-Beethoven program. Works will include Beethoven’s Six Bagatelles Op. 126, Sonata in A Major, Op. 101 and Sonata in B-flat Major, Op. 106 (Hammerklavier), widely viewed as one of the greatest piano sonatas of all time and one of the most demanding solo works in the classical piano repertoire.
- When: Sunday, January 19th, 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Where: Phillip T. Young Recital Hall, University of Victoria, 3800 Finnerty Road
Disney Movies Trivia is coming to Victoria once again! If you were at their SOLD OUT event at Distrikt Nightclub last year, you’ll know it was a super fun time!
This time, Got Pop? Concerts have moved to Paparazzi Nightclub, right in the heart of downtown Victoria! They will have all new questions and they will be from many of the classic movies like Lion King, Aladdin, 101 Dalmatians, Little Mermaid, and more!
- When: Sunday, January 19th, 7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Where: Paparazzi Nightclub, 642 Johnson Street
Shining singing, deadly folk songs, handmade banjos and old guitars: Pharis & Jason Romero have a classic story. Some scratchy old records and a custom banjo led to their meeting in 2007, and they quickly knew they were in for the long haul.
They’ve since released six records, garnered two Juno awards, and been featured on NPR Music, CBC, and BBC, with performances on A Prairie Home Companion and CBC’s The Vinyl Cafe!
- When: Sunday, January 19th, 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Where: Upstairs Cabaret, #15 Bastion Square
Are you new to eating Keto, or have someone in your life who is Keto and you’re unsure to cook for them? Then this class is for you! Learn how to make a delicious Keto meal!
Mike Haddow, of Goodlife Fitness, will spend an hour teaching you how to create this Keto Eggs Benedict, all from scratch. Each participant will be given a portion to eat at the end of class.
- When: Saturday, January 18th, 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Where: Victoria Public Market, 1701 Douglas Street
Join Dr. Yasmin Railton of the Landscapes of Injustice project, Tsugio Kurushima from the Victoria Nikkei Cultural Society, and Royal BC Museum Collections Manager and Military and Homefront Historian, Paul Ferguson as they walk and talk about Japanese Canadians in B.C. during the time of Pearl Harbour, the effects of dispossession, and internment on thousands of Canadians and the current campaign to restore the Esquimalt Japanese Teahouse!
- When: Saturday, January 18th, 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Where: Royal BC Museum, 675 Belleville Street
This 2-hour tour begins at the Victoria Public Market and includes stops at The Gates of Harmonious Interest, Fan Tan Alley, Market Square, Bastion Square, Trounce Alley, Government St., and the Inner Harbour Causeway.
Depending on the day, there are between 6-8 tastings along the route, as we discuss the history and quirks of beautiful Victoria, B.C. Tastings can include bread, pierogis, meatballs, craft beer, macarons, chocolate, and much more!
- When: January 18th and 19th, 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Where: Starts at the Victoria Public Market, 1701 Douglas Street #6
Get ready to Journey back to the time of big hair, big trends, and Big, the film starring Tom Hanks. But, most importantly, it was the time of big tunes!
Some of the biggest songs of the 80s are still favourites today – Madonna, Whitney, Bon Jovi – and Choir Choir Choir will be signing them ALL at their show Don’t Stop Believin’: Epic 80s Sing-Along! Remember: the audience is the choir. Come warmed up and ready to sing!
- When: Sunday, January 19th, 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Where: Capital Ballroom, 858 Yates Street