Summer is flying by, but that doesn’t mean the fun is anywhere near done!
Each week, more events are being announced, bringing the public back together to celebrate music, food and more.
This weekend, get out and enjoy some in-person sports events (finally!), farmers markets and art under the sunny August sun.
Here are 16 things to do in and around Victoria this weekend, August 6th-8th:
Over the past year, many have been missing attending in person sports events. The Vancouver Island Ball Hockey League (VIBHL) began at the beginning of the pandemic. Since then, the league has grown to 16 teams, 4 divisions and there is even a waitlist for teams to join!
This Friday, the league kicks off their championship rounds and the public can watch the games in person!
- Where: Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre
- When: The Vancouver Island Wolves vs The Victoria Anarchy: 7 p.m., Friday August 6th,
8 p.m., The Saanich Hitmen vs The Thrashers
- Tickets: Free admission!
Visit Uptown Boulevard this weekend for their annual Uptown Summer Market. Vendors will be lining the boulevard for a fun afternoon of outdoor shopping!
- Where: Uptown Boulevard
- When: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday August 7th
This weekend, take the family out to explore the interactive Esquimalt Urban Art Tour. The tour is self guided, using a map of the artwork across four neighbourhoods. The tour features Esquimalt urban farms and gardens displaying local artwork.
- When: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday August 7th
- Where: Across four different neighbourhoods with 30 stops! You can view the map here.
Visiting Sooke Country Market is a perfect Saturday morning activity. Browse through the vendors selling everything from fresh produce, jewelry, gardening supplies and more.
Check out the list of vendors.
- Where: John Phillips Memorial Park, 2201 Otter Point Road
- When: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturdays until October 9th
2021 marks Moss Street Market’s 30th season in operation. If you prefer contactless pick up, you can visit the online Moss Street Market to pick up your order.
Check out the list of vendors.
- Where: 1330 Fairfield Road
- When: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturdays through October
No, you haven’t been transported back in time, this is real! Legacy Drive-In has announced showtimes for their outdoor theatre at Westshore Motorsports Park.
This weekend, see Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Mission: Impossible and Downsizing from the comfort of your car as you enjoy food by Westshore Burger Co.
Tickets must be purchased in advance and it is recommended patrons arrive 30 minutes before showtime to ensure they get the best spot.
- Where: Westshore Motorsports Park (formerly Western Speedway) 2207 Millstream Road
- When: Drive: 10 p.m., Friday August 6th, Star Wars: A New Hope: 9:30 p.m., Sunday August 8th
- Price: $30/car. Tickets can be purchased here.
Watch a Royal Canadian Air Force flyby
On Sunday, watch a Royal Canadian Air Force helicopter fly over the BC Aviation Museum at Victoria Airport during the dedication of a monument to honour Lieutenant Gray.
- When: Approximately 10:30 a.m., Sunday August 8th
- Where: Over the BC Aviation Museum at Victoria Airport
The Sidney Street Market is back! After a prolonged COVID-19 absence, the market has returned to a new location at the Mary Winspear Centre. While you’re there, be sure to check out Glory Bakehouse for some delicious brownies.
- Where: Mary Winspear Centre, 2243 Beacon Avenue, Sidney
- When: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., every Sunday through October 10th
Visit the Metchosin Farmers Market for fresh vegetables, breads, jams, salsa, baked goods and more!
- Where: Metchosin Municipal Grounds, 4450 Happy Valley Road
- When: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Sundays until the end of October
This summer, attend a completely unique yoga experience at Sea Cider, a silent disco yoga class. Enjoy a complimentary cider tasting after the class!
- Where: Sea Cider Farm & Ciderhouse, 2487 Mt. St. Michael Rd, Saanichton
- When: Most Sundays at 12 p.m. and 2 p.m.
- To book: Buy your tickets online
Fitness classes are back!
As restrictions ease, workout classes are finally re-opening and going back to regular capacity.
If you are interested in trying something new but want to try out some different workouts before committing to a lot of money we have a list of 15 new-member deals at local fitness studios!
BC was recently named Canada’s #1 staycation destination! Which means we are envied by the rest of Canada for our beautiful views, nature and relaxing environment.
Plan a staycation on our very own island with this list of 10 unique Airbnb getaways right here at home!
The Malahat Skywalk is open and they saw over 5000 visitors in their first weekend!
The attraction includes a viewing platform 250 metres above sea level, cafe, shops and a 600m elevated TreeWalk and nature trail.
The Skywalk offers scenic views of Mt. Baker, Finlayson Arm, the Saanich Peninsula, and islands in two countries.
View the Malahat Skywalk website for ticket information.
After a long hiatus due to COVID-19, the Beacon Hill Children’s Farm has re-opened for the summer.
COVID-19 safety protocols are in place and the farm will be viewing only at this time. The daily public goat stampede will also not be running.
From the creators of the ‘Islands Passport’ comes a brand new addition, the ‘Distillery Passport’. The passport includes a complimentary flight and deals at 37 distilleries across British Columbia, with 14 of them located on Vancouver Island alone!
The Distillery Passport is $47.99 and can be purchased online.
- Where: Vendors across Vancouver Island, the Gulf Islands and throughout BC!
- When: Available July 21st at 9 a.m., and can be used until June 2022.
- To buy: Grab yours online today!
On a local subreddit, r/VictoriaBC, user fyrite asked the public to share their favourite local dishes, the go-tos, the ones people can’t live without.
Victoria delivered, and over 300 recommendations were posted to the thread.