Victoria, it has been a busy week!
As we transition into September, we say goodbye to many of our summer routines and find ourselves falling into new ones.
For some, a new routine looks like scheduled pick up and drop offs at school and daycare.
For others, it means returning to in-person classes at post-secondary institutions for the first time since pre-pandemic.
No matter what your week looked like, it’s time to de-stress and have some fun.
Here are 19 things to do in and around Victoria this weekend, September 11th-12th:
After missing a year due to the pandemic, Ribfest has returned for their 2021 event. Six Ribber teams, beer and cider vendors and 21 local musical acts will be there to keep you fed and entertained!
If you have yet to receive a first or second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, the Island Health Vax Van will also be in attendance.
- Where: Bullen Park, Esquimalt
- When: September 10th to 12th
- Admission: Free!
After being closed for nearly two years, Hecklers is back to fill your comedy needs. This weekend, enjoy the comedy stylings of Mike Delamont and Comedy Here Often?’s The Late show.
- Where: 123 Gorge Road East, Hecklers Bar and Grill
- When: Mike Delamont: 7 p.m., Saturday, Comedy Here Often? The Late Show: 10 p.m., Saturday
- Tickets: $20. Tickets can be purchased online here.
Visiting Sooke Country Market is a perfect Saturday morning activity. Browse through the vendors selling everything from fresh produce, jewelry, gardening supplies and more.
Check out the list of vendors.
- Where: John Phillips Memorial Park, 2201 Otter Point Road
- When: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturdays until October 9th
2021 marks Moss Street Market’s 30th season in operation. If you prefer contactless pick up, you can visit the online Moss Street Market to pick up your order.
Check out the list of vendors.
- Where: 1330 Fairfield Road
- When: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturdays through October
Outdoor Art Show in Colwood
This weekend, enjoy an outdoor art show in Colwood. The show will include small artwork, water-colours and more.
- Where: On the corner of Seashell Place in Colwood across from the park
- When: 12 p.m. to 5 p.m., rain or shine
If you’re an art lover, enjoy a self guided artist tour through the neighbourhoods of Fairfield, Rockland and Gonzales this weekend. Meet local artists, tour studios and view the artwork directly in the artist’s studios.
You can view a map of the tour here.
- Where: Fairfield, Rockland and Gonzales neighbourhoods
- When: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., September 11th and 12th
It’s the last weekend to attend an outdoor concert at the Cameron Bandshell in Beacon Hill Park.
The outdoor performance venue, also known as The Stage in the Park is located in the middle of Beacon Hill Park, off Arbutus Bridge way and has recently reopened for summer concerts.
The Bandshell includes 12 benches providing seating for over 500 spectators, as well as picnic tables and space for attendees to bring lawn chairs or a picnic blanket.
See below for this weekend’s lineup:
Bayside Big Band
- Genre: Big Band Swing Music
- When: 2 p.m. to 3 p.m., Sunday September 11th
Tours of Craigdarroch are back! Tours are available Friday, Saturday and Sunday with tickets purchased in advance. Proceeds from tickets fund the ongoing castle restoration projects.
For more information on tickets, prices and to book your tour, visit the Craigdarroch Castle website here.
No, you haven’t been transported back in time, this is real! Legacy Drive-In has announced showtimes for their outdoor theatre at Westshore Motorsports Park.
This weekend, see The Hangover and The Wizard of Oz from the comfort of your car as you enjoy food by Westshore Burger Co.
Tickets must be purchased in advance and it is recommended patrons arrive 30 minutes before showtime to ensure they get the best spot.
- Where: Westshore Motorsports Park (formerly Western Speedway) 2207 Millstream Road
- When: The Hangover, Friday September 10th at 9 p.m., The Wizard of Oz, Sunday September 11th at 8 p.m.
- Price: $30/car. Tickets can be purchased here.
The annual Oak Bay Collector Car Festival is back, celebrating 21 years of showcasing the coolest and most sought after collector cars Vancouver Island has to offer.
- Where: 5 blocks of Oak Bay Avenue, Monterey to Mitchell Street plus a portion of Hampshire Road
- When: 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Sunday, September 12th
- Registration Fee: $20
The Sidney Street Market is back! After a prolonged COVID-19 absence, the market has returned to a new location at the Mary Winspear Centre. While you’re there, be sure to check out Glory Bakehouse for some delicious brownies.
- Where: Mary Winspear Centre, 2243 Beacon Avenue, Sidney
- When: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., every Sunday through October 10th
Visit the Metchosin Farmers Market for fresh vegetables, breads, jams, salsa, baked goods and more!
- Where: Metchosin Municipal Grounds, 4450 Happy Valley Road
- When: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Sundays until the end of October
Fitness classes are back!
As restrictions ease, workout classes are finally re-opening and going back to regular capacity.
If you are interested in trying something new but want to try out some different workouts before committing to a lot of money we have a list of 15 new-member deals at local fitness studios!
BC was recently named Canada’s #1 staycation destination! Which means we are envied by the rest of Canada for our beautiful views, nature and relaxing environment.
Plan a staycation on our very own island with this list of 10 unique Airbnb getaways right here at home!
The Malahat Skywalk is open and they saw over 5000 visitors in their first weekend!
The attraction includes a viewing platform 250 metres above sea level, cafe, shops and a 600m elevated TreeWalk and nature trail.
The Skywalk offers scenic views of Mt. Baker, Finlayson Arm, the Saanich Peninsula, and islands in two countries.
View the Malahat Skywalk website for ticket information.
From the creators of the ‘Islands Passport’ comes a brand new addition, the ‘Distillery Passport’. The passport includes a complimentary flight and deals at 37 distilleries across British Columbia, with 14 of them located on Vancouver Island alone!
The Distillery Passport is $47.99 and can be purchased online.
- Where: Vendors across Vancouver Island, the Gulf Islands and throughout BC!
- When: Available July 21st at 9 a.m., and can be used until June 2022.
- To buy: Grab yours online today!
On a local subreddit, r/VictoriaBC, user fyrite asked the public to share their favourite local dishes, the go-tos, the ones people can’t live without.
Victoria delivered, and over 300 recommendations were posted to the thread.
Whether you’re a seasoned runner or just starting out, location has a huge impact on the quality of your running experience. Pick a cool morning or break out the running shoes later in the day when everything cools down. If you’re not sure where to go for your run, we have created a list of 10 scenic routes just waiting for you to explore!
Pumpkin spice is back at Starbucks Canada!
Fall menu favourites such as the Pumpkin Spice Latte and Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew are once again available for you to enjoy.